question-icon

What do high levels of TSH indicate despite being on Levothyroxine?

Posted on Wed, 5 Sep 2018
Question: I have recently had a sharp rise in TSH. from 2.599 on 9/27/17 to 9.209 on 1/19/18. Dr kept me on levothroxine .99. I am very upset and would appreciate any advice you may have.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (37 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
About your concern;

Detailed Answer:

First, you must be sure that the treatment is taken correctly (fasting in the morning and for one hour not to eat or drink anything).

Secondly, depending on the actual TSH level the dose of levothyroxine should be increased with 25 mcg.

But at your age, before increasing the dose, the physician should exclude a coronary artery disease.

The normal TSH range for your age is up to 6.5.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Mirjeta Guni
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist