What do high heart rate levels, heaviness in the chest and breathlessness indicate in an elderly patient?
I would explain as follows:
It seems that your heart rate is set to high levels lately.
And this is a nonspecific sign that a health disorder stays behind your actual clinical symptomatology.
When dealing with fast heart rate the first thing to do is clarifying whether we are in front of just a sinus tachycardia or some kind of cardiac arrhythmia has been settled down.
Serving such purpose a resting ECG and if necessary even an ambulatory ECG monitoring (Holter) would be necessary.
In addition, besides a careful physical exam to investigate for any obvious clinical signs.
(a heart murmur, presence of high body temperature, limbs edema, pulmonary congestion, etc). It is advisable performing several lab tests like:
- complete blood count (for anemia),
- CRP & ESR (for inflammation),
- thyroid hormones levels (for thyroid dysfunction),
- blood electrolytes level (possible imbalance),
- chest X-ray study,
- cardiac ultrasound,
- liver and renal function tests,
- fasting blood glucose
You need to discuss with your attending physician on the above-mentioned issues, as they would be beneficial in clarifying your heart rate concern.
Hope I have answered your query query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Consult your doctor for a diagnosis.
Please also discuss with your doctor on the above-mentioned issues of differential diagnosis workup.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What could be the reason for high heart rate
- High heart rate pain in chest and shaking
- High urea level slow heart rate
- What can be done for high heart rate and depression
- What causes high bp and slow heart rate
- Coma patient heart rate
- Heart rate high tightness in chest hot
- Scoliosis chest pain high heart rate
- Low heart rate in the elderly
- High heart rate sweating what means
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?