Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
142 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What do high RBC and ESR values suggest?

Answered by
Dr. Sandip Kabra

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 3078 Questions

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I am 25 years old male from XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I have tested for CBC and total count is 12200 and RBC count is 5.6 more than limit and esr is 20 mm per hour. My lab shown normal range for men is 10 to 15 for male adult and 10 to 20 per female...I surprised to see variation in my count . is there any relation this count and HIV test I given hiv test also fearing and I tested rapid finger pric SD bioline at 2 months came negative and I given Western blot now my last exposure was XXXXXXX 3 2016 I given April 5 for western blot . lab guy told he did tridot before doing Western blot he told it came negative please help.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry about HIV.

Detailed Answer:
welcome to HCM.

I have read your query and understand the concern.

RBC count and ESR values are marginally elevated which do NOT have any clinical significance here.

Total count 12200 is mildly elevated (clinically we consider up to 11,500 as normal) which is likely due to some bacterial infection but it does NOT seem to be any relation with your HIV test.

Since the rapid finger prick test and tridot tests for HIV at about 3 months following exposure,then it is likely that your western blot test will also come negative most probably. So,there is no need to worry about HIV.

You can take over the counter pain killers like Ibuprofen 400 or Diclofenac 75 mg with hot fomentation for your back pain and stiffness.

Small course antibiotic course (like Cefixime 200 mg) would be helpful to get rid of from infection.Your GP or family doctor may prescribe it.

Hope this helps.


Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Ibuprofen

doctor1 MD

ive been suffering from dizziness and confusion sporadically. it only last for a few moments, often less than a minuet. ive been suffering from...

doctor1 MD

i have been in hospital with quite a bad case of tonsilitis today. i have pains in the top of my neck, my head, my ears, cheeks, and throat. i also...

doctor1 MD

Hello I suffer from Chronic costochondritis and I m comming up for 16 in may.. I was on the strongest ibuprofen allowed by law and it done so much...

doctor1 MD

hello last week I used misoprostol for medical abortion. one day after discontinue my drug , I had a bad head ache that aggrevate during midnight....

doctor1 MD

I am 14 weeks pregnant with twins. For the past 3 days am having severe shooting pain in my arms and shoulders. It started with left hand now moved...

doctor1 MD

I'm 27 year old female from past few days I have got joint pains . especially while climbing up and down the stairs along with the cracking sound....

doctor1 MD

My left testicle has been giving me slight pain and discomfort for around a week now. Especially when I lay on my side to go to sleep, it floats...