What do high HDL and LDL levels indicate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi, my HDL and LDL have gone quite high recently (I'm 77). I've usually had higher HDL than LDL but not recently (possibly I'm low or out of estrogen now). I've been taking calcium tablets and I think they may be causing at least some of my cholesterol problem. Would cod liver oil tablets plus diet be a better way to get calcium?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that isolated levels of HDL and LDL are not a true indicator of your blood lipid profile.

Total cholesterol/HDL ratio is a better indicator of your cardiovascular risk related to dyslipidemia.

I would like to know your actual Total cholesterol and HDL levels. If this ratio is less than 5, you have nothing to worry about, because it means that you are not at any increased cardio-vascular risk.

Regarding calcium and Vitamin D , I would like to know if you have checked your vitamin D plasma levels lately.

Vitamin D may help increase HDL and total cholesterol levels.

Cod liver oil tablets is a supplement rich in omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin D and A, but not in calcium.

It can help reduce your cholesterol levels, but not very effective in increasing calcium plasma levels, compared to calcium/D3 tablets.

That is why I would recommend it as a supplement (based on your vitamin D levels), but not as a substitute of calcium/D3 tablets.

Performing a lot of aerobics and increasing food reach in omega 3 fatty acids (fish, fish oil, olive oil, walnuts, etc.) will also help reduce your LDL levels.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri