What do heart palpitations indicate after quitting smoking?

Posted on Mon, 6 Nov 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Dear Doctor,

I would like to know. My husband recently stop smoking for over 4 months now.

After quitting he had couple of palpilations and poke on his heart. he is also anxiously paranoid it could be a heart attack. he had a body check including his sugar level, blood pressure and all the necessary and the results turn out great accept for his weight and his BMI. The report even mentioned that he has a low risk to get heart coronary disease which stands at 10%.

Almost every day he will notify me that he had like a trigger on his chest and het got worried. what this could be?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety

Detailed Answer:

The nicotine withdrawal symptoms can last up to 1 year depending on the duration of smoking and number of exposures.
As you rightly said it was anxiety with subtle paranoia that is most likely bothering him. The blood results are good but may not be complete.
Finally I suggest to get a TMT (tread mill test) and 2D ECHO done to finally rule out any heart ailment. The blood tests are not complete.
Second they have severe nutritional deficiencies esp Vit D, B that need to be corrected.
I also suggest to see an Internal medicine expert.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam