What do green colored stools and fatigue indicate?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband has greenish loose stools and feeling very tired. Also, urinating more often than usual. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Overlapping enteritis with Urine infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
Green color of stool is due to presence of a pigment called bile in stools.
Bile is green in color and is broken down during the process of digestion into stercobilinogen which gives brown tinge to stools.Very likely he is having a stomach upset causing improper breakdown of bile due to fast motility of intestine.I would suggest him to go for a stool and urine test as increased frequency of urination could be suggestive of urinary tract infection.
Some times gut infection overlaps urinary tract infection.

Rx
Take motility inhibitor like dicyclomine with antibiotic.
Prebiotic have to be taken for improved digestion.
Drink lots of electrolyte solution.
Regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 31 hours later
My husband went to the ER today after checking his glucose. It was over 500 and his urine test was not good. The doctor put him on metphormin and told him to see his doctor as soon as he could. My question is, how could his numbers be so high so quickly? He was tested 2 years ago and it was 99.

Thank you,

Peg Hickey
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again my dear patient,
2 years is too long a time for some one to develop full blown diabetes therefore general recommendation is to get your blood sugar checked up two times a year after age of 30.
His blood sugar is 500 he could be in hyperosmolar state.Ideally he should be kept in observation for 3 days and initially diabetes should be controlled through insulin plus a lots of I.V hydration should be given.

Hope i was helpful.
Warm regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana