question-icon

What do gravelly sensations under the rib cage indicate while breathing?

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2019
Question: When I breath deeply, I feel a click on my lower left side near the bottom of my rib cage on that side. I also feel a light gravelly sensation in that area when exhaling. When I sit back in my chair it can be dull and somewhat uncomfortable, not hugely though. Do I have a problem?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (58 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

The possibility of musculoskeletal discomfort is more likely.

Detailed Answer:

By your history and description, the possibility of musculoskeletal discomfort is more likely.

So better to avoid sudden jerky movements of chest and back.
Sit with proper back support.

Avoid heavyweight lifting and strenuous exercise. Apply warm water pad on affected areas of the chest.

Don't worry, you will be alright with all these.
If still not improving then consult a doctor and get done ECG and 2d echo to rule out heart diseases.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Kaushal Bhavsar, Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist