Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

160 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What do gas, belching and stomach cramps indicate after consuming spoilt milk?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15191 Questions
Drank spoiled milk last night about 9 pm . t. Wife is suffering from severe stomach cramps- no vomiting and no discharge . Has gas and belching and very uncomfortable all this morning. Has commenting about the pain.
Sat, 27 Jan 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hold off solids, fluid replacement, probiotics, peptobismol

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Cramping, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite- some or all of these may occur.

Treatment would consist of--(1) NO use of any solid food till at least 4 hours have passed with no symptoms

When this 4 hour period passes, then you can use a small amount of dry food such as rice, bread, biscuits

If this is tolerated, then the amount and types of food used can be increased

(2)if vomiting or diarrhea occur then you would need to replace any fluids and electrolytes loss with either oral rehydration fluids or dilute sport drinks such as dilute gatorade or poweraid.

If vomiting occurs, would need to drink small amounts at a time. If there is no vomiting, only diarrhea, can use large amounts

(3)paracetamol can be used for the pain. It may be best to avoid medication such as ibuprofen or naproxen or similar meds because these can irritate the stomach

(4)probiotics either on their own or in yogurts may be able to help as well

(5)medication such as peptobismol may help to decrease the symptoms especially the gas and uncomfortable sensations

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist