What do fordyce spots inside the cheeks indicate?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hello....I have a question regarding Lynch Syndrome. I have been diagnosed with numerous fordyce spots inside both of my cheeks and on my lips; I have also been diagnosed with sebaceous hyperplasia on my face.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of consulting "Dr. Google" and ran across some information implying that there may be a link between fordyce spots (which I understand are quite common) and Lynch Syndrome (which I understand is rare).

I just had my first screening colonoscopy, which came back clean,. I also have had routine bloodwork, all within normal values, and yearly mammograms and pap smears, all normal. Within the past year, I also had a transvaginal ultrasound, which was normal. There is no history of colorectal or other cancers in my family.

Unfortunately, I suffer from health anxiety, and after reading what I saw about a possible link between the two conditions, I can't get it out of my mind that since I have numerous fordyce spots, Lynch syndrome is possible. Can you tell me whether having fordyce spots is any type of a marker for Lynch Syndrome? Sorry if this question is a bit neurotic, but I would greatly appreciate any reassurances you can provide. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
you can go for genetic testing to overcome your health anxiety.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Firstly, thanks for posting your query on this forum.
I am Dr Kumar, Gastroenterologist and would be answering your query.

As per you query, answers are-

Fordyce spots ate not a marker of Lynch syndrome. However lynch syndrome patient can have Fordyce spot.Yet it does not mean that every person with Fordyce spot has lynch syndrome.

Secondly you are totally asymptomatic. However patients with lynch syndrome usually presents with the following symptoms--

-severe Diarrhea or constipation refractory to medicines and usually is associated with blood in stools.Severe cramping and pain abdomen can be there with history of severe malaise fatigue and loss of weight.

Thirdly, all your investigations including colonoscopy are normal. However in case you are so obsessed by fear of lynch syndrome you can go for a test called genetic mapping.Once this test is normal you are free from Gastro side(Though not required yet to suppress your fear ).

To sum up, take my words, you don't have lynch.

Hope i answered your query, Feel free to ask any question.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 23 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX

I cannot begin to thank you enough for your kind, compassionate, and reassuring answer -- you have totally allayed my fears. I certainly won't take it to the extent of genetic testing -- I think my best course of action will be to try to relax and definitely stop googling these medical conditions (I think I have "medical student syndrome", believing that I have all of these diseases, although I attended law school and am an attorney). Google can be both a blessing, and definitely a curse when it picks up on rare diseases -- not good for health anxiety! (by the way, I am on Cymbalta and take xanax as needed for breakthrough anxiety; I think the fact I'm going through per-menopause is exacerbating my anxiety lately).

I can certainly tell that you are a wonderful doctor with a great bedside manner -- please know that you make a difference in people's lives in this particular forum, most certainly mine!

Thank you and God bless....
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you so much.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Thank you so much dear.I wish you a great health.Just relax and enjoy life.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy