What do flashes and dark shades in the vision indicate?

Posted on Wed, 8 Nov 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi Doctor,

My mother is complaining of flashes in the corner of her eye and also some shades infront of her eye from today morning. She can see more of that in the darkness.

She had an eye check up in the month of July, 2017 and her retina was good.

What is her problem?

Note:- She had TB meningitis in 2014. Also she suffered temporary blurred vision for 7 months due to Ethambutol effect.

Thanks,
Kxxxxxxx XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Muthu Krishnan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your mom may need eye examination.

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir.Welcome to Healthcare magic.
I have gone through your question.
My opinion is that,your mom may have vitreous detachment.It is the major disease causing sudden flashes and darkness.So kindly fix appointment with your ophthalmologist immediately.He will guide you in proper way.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Muthu Krishnan 7 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Is it something dangerous. Will she have any problem in future? Is it curable?

Thanks,
Kxxxxxxx XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Muthu Krishnan 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes solution is available.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.Welcome to our website.
I am not sure that your mom is having vitreous detachment. Your mom's symptoms are suggestive of vitreous detachment. To confirm the diagnosis,a complete eye examination is needed. So kindly consult ophthalmologist immediately.

Surgical options are available for this problem.A surgery called pars plana vitrectomy is available.

Thank you.
I wish your mom for her good health.
If you are not having queries,kindly close the conversation and rate the answers.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Muthu Krishnan