Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

What do flared itchy red bumps on my body signify ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
I get flare ups of raised red bumps on my body (looks a little like mosquito bite). They itch like crazy, I end up bruising myself because I'm itching the area so much. After I scratch for so long the area gets very swollen and hot. The next day, that area is very tender and hurts if you touch it. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease two months ago and wondered if this is a symptom of CD or could it be something else?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 4 hours later

Thank you for the query,

There is a relationship between 'coeliac disease' and 'skin disease' especially if it is associated with itching. The skin condition associated with coeliac disease is called "Dermatitis herpetiformis" (DH).
DH present with sever itchy grouped blisters or vesicles over an erythematous base (red raised base).These are especially seen over neck ,arms and buttocks. It is also associated with gluten sensitivity i.e one who takes diet XXXXXXX in wheat ,barley,oat etc. These rashes are also known as "gluten rash" or "coeliac disease rash".

In your case, you have not mentioned any thing about blisters or water filled lesion. But it might begin with erythematous(red) rashes and itching too.

Kindly let me know few things here, so that I can suggest you better :
1) Do you get any blisters or water filled lesions?
2) What is the exact site of raised rashes you get?
3) Any association with any food item?
4) Do you feel any mosquito bite would be causing itching and red lesions?

Please reply back with the above answers, as this will help me in answering you better.

Dr.Bharat chawda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor