What do elevated enzymes in the pancreas indicate?

Dr. Varinder Joshi

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What do elevated enzymes in the pancreas mean?

YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Varinder Joshi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pancreatic enzyme not helpful.

Detailed Answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Please see that usually first enzymes to be tested in suspected pancreatic pathology are serum amylase and serm lipase .
Level of amylase is 25 to 85 units per litre and lipase is 10 to 160 units per litre .
You have given level as 90 and if it is amylase it is slightly raised but if it is lipase it is within normal range ( You did not mention lipase or amylase ) .

Now i would say amylase is non specific enzyme also raised in non pancreatic conditions as gall stone , gall bladder diseases , gut perfortation or ischemia or any gut disease , parotid diseases or some procedures as ERCP.

Now as level is not much elevated i donot think it is pancreatic cancer.
It is most probably acute or chronic pancreatitis. Abdominal ultrasound is not a good modality for pancreas .

Better are CT scan , MRI scan , ERCP , PET and transesophageal ultrasound .

So relax and let the results come.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Varinder Joshi , General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng