What do elevated PSA levels indicate?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My husband just got his PSA report and the number was 74. A month ago it was 62. His doctor is sending my husband to a urologist on the 31st. If it is prostate cancer and he has treatment. What is the average length of time he might live?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
elevated PSA

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You are concerned about your husband having an elevated PSA. His numbers are quite high but you can not determine how aggressive a cancer is on PSA alone. You husband will probably have prostate biopsies. These biopsies with better determine what needs to be done. There is a scoring method on the biopsies called XXXXXXX score 1-10 A low score is good as it shows a slow growing cancer. Mid range 4-6 is a moderate rapid growing and easily treatable with good prognosis. A high score greater than 7 show a more aggressive cancer and harder to treat. With today's treatment there is good hope. Depending on therapy he may have years if not decades even with the higher XXXXXXX scores. But you all need to wait and see what becomes of his diagnosis and biopsies.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions