What do elevated AMH levels indicate?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: I had a miscarriage last month at 18 weeks after getting pregnant on OI & had OHSS during the cycle I concieved.

I got my AMH , TSH and other things tested last week and here are the values.

FSH : 4.88
LH : 4.7
AMH : 10.8 nu/mg
TSH : 3.55

What does my elevated AMH levels mean? I have PCOD , does my AMH level indicate good & quality eggs? I want to know if AMH levels means anything at all for patients with PCOD.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
High AMH associated with poor egg quality

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
AMH basically represents the number of follicles which are going to be active in each cycle and thus higher the AMH, more are the number of follicles recruited and thus higher chances of OHSS in case ovulation induction drugs are given.
AMH if high confirms the presence of PCOD.
Also high AMH is commonly associated with poor egg quality and thus higher chance of implantation failure, abortion and preterm labor pains.
I hope I have explained to you all aspects related to high AMH but in case you have any questions about it, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Manisha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 30 minutes later
Ok thanks....how bad is an AMH level of 10??given that normal ranges is frm 4 to 6.8 ...
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very high

Detailed Answer:
AMH levels of 10 is very high.
Upper level of 6.8 is also high and rather it should be be around 3-5 to be in a normal range.
But since there is no drug to lower the AMH, all you can do is to decrease weight in case you are overweight.
Even if you have a normal weight still any sort of aerobic exercise can help you to control the disease process to a great extent.
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 39 minutes later
Does this affect my chances of conceiving and maintaining a healthy pregnancy?could This one of the reason i miscarried? I am not overweight .
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can cause problems in conception

Detailed Answer:
Yes dear it can definitely reduce the chances of conception and of course increased risk of miscarriage.
Your previous miscarriage could have been due to this only but not necessarily.
This is for sure that poor egg and embryo quality in PCOD can cause it, but since you are not overweight chance of adverse effects is lesser as compared to the patients with obesity along with PCOD.
Start an exercise schedule and follow it nicely and I'm sure you will have a healthy pregnancy soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN