What do diarrhea and burning sensation in the abdomen indicate?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: About a month ago I experienced this feeling on the left side of my stomach just below the ribs it felt like a rush of cold and heat and hurt for only a few minutes. (I had gastric sleeve surgery 3 years ago.) Today it seems like my symptoms are my stomach is getting disformed and everytime I eat I have this burning uncomfortable sometimes painful feeling in the same area. My bowel movements have been irregular and I won't go for days and then all of the sudden I have diarrhea. I don't have insurance and I wasn't sure if it was something I need to go to the hospital for. But as days go it continues to get worse.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
?? Suspecting IBS, please do read information and suggestion

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I can understand ma'am, and the very first time you had the characteristic pain around the rib region was also for the same reason.

I am strongly suspecting conditions like:

+Irritable bowel syndrome
+Diverticulitis
along with a few other possibilities, but with these two on top of the list.

They present with:

+Abdominal discomfort after ingesting any trigger factor
+Abdominal bloating
+Periods of constipation and/or diarrhea
+Diarrhea is usually experienced soon after the trigger foods are consumed
+Increase urge to pass your bowels soon after consuming the trigger food
+Pain usually around the rib region (more commonly seen on the left than the right side)
+Mucus seen with stool
and a few others.

So the main thing you need to understand ma'am, is that the presentation is brought about by the consumption of trigger foods and other such factors like:

+Popcorn
+Coffee
+Tea
+Spicy food
+Fatty food
+Oily food
+Drinks containing taurine
+Drinks or food products containing caffeine
+Chocolates
+Alcohol
+Certain vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, etc.
+Certain fruits (especially those with skin like apples)
+Carbonated drinks
+Sweet food or artificial sweeteners
and a few others.

So please do start observing what kind of food causes your symptoms, and the main approach towards treatment is educating yourself on your condition and avoiding those trigger foods that cause your symptoms. Only if this is not possible will your doctor prescribe medications for the same.

I hope I have explained things in a manner best understood by you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee