What do developmental delays indicate as per the attached reports?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in Child Health
Question: My son aged 11 months has been diagnosed with Trigonocephaly through a brain MRI conducted last December 2017. Has got some developmental delay but is otherwise normal in seeing and reacting to the things around him. Is having some difficulty in crawling and getting up by himself though he tries to do it many times a day. His doctor has advised us to wait and see his developments for the next 6 months after which a decision can be taken. Please suggest by seeing the MRI report what is your opinion in the matter?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Brief Answer:
Early intervention is essential

I have gone through your query and have checked the attached report. Trigonocephaly leads to restriction of the brain growth and therefore can lead to neurodevelopmental problems. The MRI correlates and the prominent ventricles raises concern. Trigonocephaly is correctable surgically and techniques like Fronto-supraorbital advancement and remodelling or Floating forehead technique can be applied. However, developmental therapy is very important in order to prevent disabilities. Early detection and early intervention play a very important role in prevention of disabilities. So, I would rather insist you to be proactive rather than to wait and watch.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana