What do delayed periods while on diet control indicate?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi Doctor

Please find below the query link:
https://www.healthcaremagic.com/AskDoctorInboxServlet?page=viewQuery&queryId=212539

I still didnt get my periods. last period was on 16th XXXXXXX 2015. i am not in favor of taking any medicine for inducing periods. Please suggest?

I am trying my best to loose weight by going gym. its been 2 weeks that i started and also i controlled in diet as well.

Waiting for your opinion.

Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to PCOS and stress

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, thanks for trusting me for asking your queries.
Since you have PCOD, it might be the cause of your delayed periods. Excessive exercise and gym initially leads to stress on the body, which also can lead to delayed periods due to hormonal changes.
I will, however, advise you to get urine pregnancy test, to rule out any pregnancy.
If negative, then you can wait for the periods for another one month. Continue with exercise and weight loss.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 4 minutes later
Hi Doctor

Please let me know is it only because of PCOS or any other reason. I am very much worried because of this.

Is there any chances of PRegnancy since i didnt get any symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Be positive

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX do not get disheartened. It can be due to PCOS, pregnancy or stress associated with exercise.
A urine pregnancy test will rule out pregnancy. Even very early pregnancy do not have any symptoms.
Patients with PCOS can very well conceive, if proper treatment is given. As I have told you earlier also, please be positive and hopeful. Stress and worrying decrease the chances of conception.
Please get back to me with the result of urine pregnancy test done with the first urine in the morning tomorrow.
I am again emphasizing you to remain happy, hopeful and positive.
Dr Deepti Verma