What do decreased urine output, confusion and incoherent speech indicate?
Body fluids cultures needed.
Hello and thanks for using HCM.
I have read your query and understand your concerns.
Bed bound patients are at high risk to develop infections and gram negative bacteria infection is a possibility in this case, since amoxiclav isn't controlling the temperature.
However, best treatment about infection is first to isolate the causing microorganism and to test its sensibility to antibiotics.
So there is need for cultures of body fluids such urine, blood and sputum in order to isolate the cause of a probable infection.
If recurent infection the prognosis is poor, since there are other serious health problems.
Food and fluids intake should be higher than normal diet in case of infection, if no sufficient intake intravenous fluids should be considered.
A good possibility about treating gram negative infections is metronidazole.
There is need to discuss with the GP about having done the needed tests and changing the antibiotics.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What does blood in urine indicate
- What could frequent urination indicate
- What does mucus in urine indicate
- What does foamy urine indicate
- What does smelly urine indicate
- Is decreased urination or urine output a side effect of byetta?
- What indicates a continuous urine
- What does lactose in urine indicate
- What does albumin in urine indicate
- Is decreased urination or urine output a side effect of bydureon?