question-icon

What do decreased urine output, confusion and incoherent speech indicate?

Posted on Wed, 2 Dec 2015
Question: suffering from more mental confusion, speech confused, although vascular dementia memory usually very good and speech coherent, BP regularly very low, bed bound, unable to walk since hospitalisation for dehydration and uncontrolled atrial fribullation. Poor results since warfarin stopped and on aspirin. GP refuses alternatives. medication now opened and dissolved or added to food due to swallowing problems dysphagia. High temp then normal antibiotics not really effective, previous diagnosis apparently was gram negatives and e coli last year. Is this problem due to gram negatives and it appears terminal as GP's not responding to requests for treatments to problems existing and refused to come and see him for5 days despite illness. Is this gram negatives, if not what is it and what treatment is there and prognosis. Decreased urine output declining fluids regularly, eating poor
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho (30 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Body fluids cultures needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

Bed bound patients are at high risk to develop infections and gram negative bacteria infection is a possibility in this case, since amoxiclav isn't controlling the temperature.

However, best treatment about infection is first to isolate the causing microorganism and to test its sensibility to antibiotics.

So there is need for cultures of body fluids such urine, blood and sputum in order to isolate the cause of a probable infection.

If recurent infection the prognosis is poor, since there are other serious health problems.

Food and fluids intake should be higher than normal diet in case of infection, if no sufficient intake intravenous fluids should be considered.

A good possibility about treating gram negative infections is metronidazole.

There is need to discuss with the GP about having done the needed tests and changing the antibiotics.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical