What do dark green stool and nausea indicate?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: For a week I been having dark green stool and fill like vomiting.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs evaluation for C difficile, BRAT diet

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Green stools are mostly the result of something you ate, such as spinach. Green stool also can occur after you consume certain medications or iron supplements. Apart from it some other causes of green stool are severe diarrhea, NSAIDs medications etc.

However the stools in your case should be evaluated as one week persistent green color is worth assessment and workup for causes like Clostridium difficile as foul smelling greenish stools with nauseating feeling and/ or vomiting is very typical presentation of C difficile and should be evaluated.

Take BRAT diet, Banana, rice applesauce and toast and talk to your doctor and let them evaluate it for further management.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

regards
Khan

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan