What do dark discolorations on the hand indicate?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi

I think it was time to consult a dermatologist.

Please see pics advise of hand and advise please.

It is a mark on my hand not sure how long its been like this to be honest.

I have been to 3 gps but not specialists like yourself sir/madam.

It looks like it may be under the skin. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can't see any pictures, kindly upload them again

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, a dermatologist.
I can't see any pictures.
Kindly upload them again so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 44 minutes later
HI Thanks for your reply.

I have now uploaded thank you madam. Its a discolration on the left side.

However when under lighting it varies as it may be purply all over i dont know of this is the skin.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like livedo reticularis, occurs without any cause in many individuals

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I have reviewed the attached photographs and it looks like livedo reticularis which is a mottled type of pigmentation of the skin
It can occur without any cause and in some cases is associated with underlying problems of blood vessels and its diseases.
If this pigmentation is not associated with any complaints like tingling, numbness, oedema and ulceration on the hands then no need to worry as it is harmless.
Otherwise consult a doctor and get it evaluated.