What do cramps and back pain during 38 weeks of pregnancy indicate?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi I am 38 weeks pregnant and I have on and off cramping with back pain. Is that a sign of early labor
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You seem to be in early labour. Go to ER.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.

Are these cramps in creasing in intensity over time?
Do they occur at regular intervals? If so then this is labour pain. Please go to the ER and get examined.

If you have further concerns, I will be happy to answer.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 6 minutes later
They have been staying the same since yesterday. Ive been constipated as well but would a stimulant laxative like dulcolax put in labor as wel
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
If they are of same intensity since yesterday then they are false labour pains. How frequently you are getting them?

Stimulant laxative like dulcolax will cause abdominal cramps. It does not initiate labour.
Take fruits, salads and plenty of water. If you are feeling discomfort due to constipation, take laxative.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama