What do calcium and ESR levels indicate?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 6 May 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I am attaching my reports , please go thru the same and share your views . Also please see , since my calcium is within normal range so should i take calcium tablet daily or not ?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your reports are normal.

Detailed Answer:

Hi
Thanks for your query

I'm Dr Sudhir Kumar

I have gone through your query, your reports and understand your concern. Your reports are normal . ESR seems slightly higher (18) but it is not of much significance as some consider upto 20 as normal. You are having normal calcium level. Inspite of this you will require 1 gram of calcium daily which can be supplemented with dietary supplement or tablets. If your diet has sufficient calcium then no tablets are required. You can discuss with your doctor about it.

Hope your query get answered. If you have any clarification then I will be happy to help you.

Wishing you a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 40 minutes later
Suggest good calcium medicne .Also , what i should eat daily and in how much quantity so that my calcium intake is sufficient.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Milk is the best source of calcium.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome back
Calcium citrate malate (CCM) is best water‑soluble calcium supplement. It is the calcium salt of citric acid and malic acid with variable composition. It is purported to be highly bioavailable.Milk is the best dietary source of calcium. Moreover, the calcium is in a form that can be easily digested and absorbed by your body. One cup (8 ounces) of milk a day provides about 300 mg of calcium. It is recommended that people get at least 1,000 mg of calcium each day which would be about 3-1/3 cups of milk.Yogurt is said to offer 400 mg of calcium in a single serving (one cup). In medicine form it is available as Shelcal or Citracal, which are available in 500mg.
Everything else already discussed.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
https://www.bit.ly/askdrsudhirortho

Wishing you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta