What do bumps on the penile shaft indicate?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello, I am concerned about a possible STD. I have these 3 bumps on the base of my penis shaft. I haven't had sex in about 8 months but i received oral twice but not for about 6 months. Each time I have had sex I used protection. These bumps do not itch and are not painful. They appeared about 4 days after shaving, but I have had them for about a month now and they haven't changed.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Genital warts

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar (dermatologist and venereologist).
I have gone through your query and i have viewed the image.
I can see at least 3-4 skin colored raised lesions/ growths. They seem like genital warts or condyloma acuminata.
Genital warts is an STD. It is an infection caused by HPV (human papilloma virus). The infection is asymptomatic and presents as skin colored, sessile or pedunculated, smooth or rough surfaced genital lesions.
A condom does not offer 100% protection agsinst HPV infection because it covers only front portion of shaft of penis and leaves adjacent pubic skin and base of penile shaft exposed for skin to skin contact during intercourse.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 15 minutes later
I got an HPV vaccination a long time ago, so would that limit my chance of it being HPV. Is there a likely chance that i will be able to get rid of the infection entirely?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
HPV Infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

A vaccine protects against most common strains i.e type 6,11,16,18 but not all strains of HPV. I would suggest electrocautery removal for these genital warts. Yes, most of the patients are ultimately able to get rid of the HPV infection by virtue of body's own innate immunity.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
What is the cost of removal of these warts and can i remove warts without going to see a doctor. Not really wanting this to show up on my parents insurance. I was told that apple cider vinegar can remove these warts

I take that back it's actually been over a year since I've had sexual intercourse. I received oral twice since then but that is about it. Could that rule out genital warts at all
Brief Answer:
Genital HPV infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

HPV infection can remain asymptomatic for a long time and form warts later. So even if you had protected sex a year before that does not actually exclude this possibility. Moreover even oral sex can be a source of genital HPV warts.
I would suggest that you visit a doctor rather than treat at home. Vinegar might cause burn and pigmentatiin or scarring.