What do brown stains on the gums indicate?

Dr. Priyanka Tiwari

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: have severe brown stains at gum line. am smoker plus drink cocoa, tea,red wine every day. am 82 yrs.old. because of back and sciatica problems cant sit in dentist chair for more than about 10 mins. anything I can clean with to remove ugly stains ?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for consulting Healthcaremagic.
This is Dr. Priyanka Tiwari answering your query.

I have read your query and understand your concern . As fas as severe brown stains at gum line is concerned firstly you must quit your habit as this is not good for your health. For severe brown stains best is to go for scaling or bleaching of teeth. It will help you get your teeth color back to normal. You can go for crowns or veeners but every treatment will be of temporary basis if you dont quit your habit.
As you are having back and sciatica pain cant able to go for treatment i will suggest you few remedies for stains:
-Maintain good oral hygiene . Regular brushing twice daily and you can use whitening toothpaste like colgate visible white .
- Daily flossing in addition to brushing will reduce plaque and bacterial counts.
- Rinsing with Chlorhexidine mouthwash also helps.

Hope i have answered your query .
If you have further query i will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad