What do boils on buttocks indicate?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Healthy Living
Question: hi doc,
my brother got boil on his bumps yesterday and is painful today and he got fever as well.please find attached the pic.can you please suggest any medicine?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely Folliculitis.Antibiotic needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query.I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.
The photo is not clear and it appears that it is a single boil.It may be due to folliculitis.Clean the area with warm water twice daily. You can apply topical antibiotics like Mupirocin (T-bact) or Fucidin, and take antipyretic analgesic (Diovon). You may even advice oral antibiotics like Azithromycin 500mg Twice daily.
There is need to wear loose cotton clothes, not to sit for long time.see that there is no friction or irritation. if it does not subside consult dermatologist.
If you need any clarification you can get back to me.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T