What do bloating, flatulence and blood in the stools with flu-like symptoms indicate?

Dr. Kampana

Posted on Mon, 5 Nov 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Started with dark bloody stools today. Lots of smelly gas. Bloated gassy stomach to feel like I have to go to the bathroom often. Other than this morning, when my stool was normal size, but dark and bloody inside toilet, the rest of the day and night has been mostly passing gas and small amounts of bloody stool. When I wipe after passing gas and small dark colored bloody stool, the tissue is the color of dark purple or black. First time this has happened to me. I take aspirin every day due to long work hours and headaches, about 3 - 325 gr aspirin twice daily (not everyday, but at least 4-5 times a week). Felt flu like symptons on Sunday and have not felt very good all week, and have taken at least 9-12 aspirin daily since Sunday. Also feel fatigued, but mostly due to long work hours (12-16 hours a day). 55 year old male, non-smoker
Answered by Dr. Kampana 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Looks like a side effect of aspirin.

Detailed Answer:

It looks like a side effect of aspirin. If you do not have any heart related problems I would suggest you to stop aspirin for few days and observe.

Meanwhile for headache and long hours of work you can take other analgesics such as Tylenol once or twice a day if it is unbearable.

In case it worsens it is best to meet a physician for a detailed examination or treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kampana 30 minutes later
I usually am not gassy. I have had much bloating and gas throughout the day and tonight. I am still very bloated and gassy. If I did not tell you about the aspirin use, what other solution would you have to my symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Kampana 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Follow up.

Detailed Answer:

Other causes can be due to irritable bowel syndrome or gastroenteritis(dysentery).

I would suggest you to take lots of fluids, probiotics such as yogurt and over the counter antacids.

For dysentery you may have to take antibiotics which are prescription medicines and you will have to meet your physician.

Follow up: Dr. Kampana 12 hours later
Will my stomach heal itself so it will stop bleeding? How many days of dark black and purple stools and bad smelly gas and bloating should I expect? This is day two.

Hello, is there a doctor working?
Answered by Dr. Kampana 4 hours later
Brief Answer:

If you have started the above symptomatic treatment you should feel better by 3 days.

Detailed Answer:

Dysentery often requires antibiotics for treatment. Once you start antibiotics you will feel better by 3 to 5 days but you will have to confirm the diagnosis by a stool examination.

Have you stopped taking aspirin and started taking probiotics and antacid? If your symptoms are still persisting it is best to get a stool examination for occult blood to confirm diagnosis.

Follow up: Dr. Kampana 43 minutes later
Thank you. Yes, I have stopped taking aspirin and started taking probiotics and antacid. We will see if it starts to get better or the next couple days.
Answered by Dr. Kampana 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Follow up.

Detailed Answer:

Yes lets us wait for 2 to 3 days and reassess again.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Kampana, General & Family Physician