Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

147 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What do blisters on body of a toddler indicate?

Answered by
Dr. Hardik Pitroda


Practicing since :2010

Answered : 1489 Questions

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: my 2 year old has bumps that are spreading on his legs, butt, his undearm on his fingers, doctors appointment tomorrow she I got to emergency room, can take picture to show you blisters/bumps
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chicken pox or Mollusca

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting on HCM.
Though the photographs are not very clear, I would like to put forward
two possibilities:
1. Chicken pox
2. Mollusca contagiosum

Both of these are viral skin infections and they are very common in early childhood.

Usually chicken pox in children doesnot warrant any active intervention unless there is associated secondary bacterial infection for which a 5 day course of oral antibiotic like cefadroxil and topical antibiotic like fusidic acid cream would be good enough. Associated fever if any should be treated with paracetamol.
To relieve itching apply a soothing calamine lotion and take antihistaminics like Benadryl.

Mollusca on the other hand though self-resolving are highly contagious and thus can spread to multiple body sites. Usually the best treatment is the manual extraction of mollusca bodies followed by electrofulguration. However in children, as these treatment is traumatic in nature, I prefer going for local application of 1% 5-flurouracil cream twice a day over mollusca lesions.

Hope the information was useful.

Let me know if you require any further assistance from myside.
Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Topical antibiotic

doctor1 MD

My wife has had sores on her arms and legs for about 1 year. They're not painful unless she picks at them. When she does pick at them, there's a small, hard, round ball that comes off. Attached is a photo. Any ideas what this could be?

doctor1 MD

Hey doctor, Recently I noticed this black spot on the right side of my throat and I was just wondering if this is something I should get checked out by my doctor? It kind of came out of nowhere and I just noticed it yesterday and I don’t really...

doctor1 MD

I think i just got bit by a spider. A lot of white spots that look like pimples , its red and swelling.