What do blisters on body of a toddler indicate?

Dr. Hardik Pitroda

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: my 2 year old has bumps that are spreading on his legs, butt, his undearm on his fingers, doctors appointment tomorrow she I got to emergency room, can take picture to show you blisters/bumps
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chicken pox or Mollusca

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting on HCM.
Though the photographs are not very clear, I would like to put forward
two possibilities:
1. Chicken pox
2. Mollusca contagiosum

Both of these are viral skin infections and they are very common in early childhood.

Usually chicken pox in children doesnot warrant any active intervention unless there is associated secondary bacterial infection for which a 5 day course of oral antibiotic like cefadroxil and topical antibiotic like fusidic acid cream would be good enough. Associated fever if any should be treated with paracetamol.
To relieve itching apply a soothing calamine lotion and take antihistaminics like Benadryl.

Mollusca on the other hand though self-resolving are highly contagious and thus can spread to multiple body sites. Usually the best treatment is the manual extraction of mollusca bodies followed by electrofulguration. However in children, as these treatment is traumatic in nature, I prefer going for local application of 1% 5-flurouracil cream twice a day over mollusca lesions.

Hope the information was useful.

Let me know if you require any further assistance from myside.
Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju