• question-icon

What do blackouts, imbalance and loss of motor skills?

Posted on Mon, 6 Nov 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have colitis and fibromyalgia however, more than six months I have been loosing my balance and now getting worse , my brain fog is much worse and recently I have been loosing my motor skills- hand stop in middle of typing, tried to move my leg and feet a couple of times and it did not respond, and having vision blackouts now.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Several possibilities as follows...

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Progressive balance problems are something which needs to be investigated. It may be a manifestation of several conditions like neurodegenerative conditions (multiple system atrophy, cerebellar atrophy etc), tumors, vitamin B12 deficiency, cervical myelopathy etc. Acute conditions like stroke seem less likely given the slowly progressive nature.
For that reason I believe a neurological consult to check for ebjective signs on physical examination which might orient the diagnosis, some routine blood tests for metabolic, hormonal or nutritional deficiencies (tests like blood count, liver and kidney function, electrolyte panel, thyroid function, vitamin B12 levels) and in particular a MRI must be scheduled.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist