What do arm and hand numbness at nighttime indicate despite trying different sleeping positions?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Tue, 3 Oct 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my arms and hands have been numb every morning for about three weeks it's it takes about half an hour to subside. it's mainly in my left arm/hand and there's pain associated with it. it wakes me up multiple times throughout the night. I've tried different sleeping positions stretching ect and neither seem to help. what could be causing this and what can I do about it?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A number of causes

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns.. These symptoms could be due to a number of causes..
1) vitamin b12 difficiency that could lead to neuritis . neuritis manifests with numbness and pain along the distribution of affected nerves ..This can be diagnosed by a blood test of vitamin b 12 level and can be treated with vitamin b 12 supplements
2) Cervical nerve root compression which can be due to cervical vertebrae disc prolapse.. This presents with pain and numbness radiating from the neck to the arms and fingers.. This can be diagnosed by a ct scan of neck vertebrea ..
3) Rheumatoid arthritis , which manifests with pain and numbness along the joints of the arm and hands but should be accompanied with swelling and redness of the joints and should be treated with corticosteroids
I hope I answered your question

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad