What do absence of periods and soreness in the breasts indicate?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i took a hep c cure called Epclusa..while taking the medication i hemorraged for 2 weeks the 2nd month of treatment from my period n 2 weeks the third month of treatment. i finished treatment in december. feb n march i havent had a period n have had sore n swollen breasts.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
need to rule out pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking your question at HealthcareMagic

Epclusa does not cause any menstrual irregularities. The irregularities in periods is unrelated to epclusa.

With the symptoms of sore breast along with absence of menstruation, pregnancy may be a possibility.

Hormonal contraceptives can also cause such symptoms.

So, I'd recommend that you take a home pregnancy test and follow up with your doctor for further evaluation.

Hope I was able to answer your question.
Please feel free to address any more concerns,

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 16 hours later
I have nnot had sex in a year..sothat is ruled out right there..im concerned something is seriously wrong with me.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Advice to undergo Liver Function Tests

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for addressing your question

If pregnancy is not a possibility, I recommend getting checked for how your liver is functioning, particularly since you have history of hepatitis c. Liver metabolizes estrogen in the body and if liver is not functioning properly, excess estrogen can lead to the menstrual irregularities.
As I mentioned above if you are taking hormonal contraceptives (especially in background of impaired liver function) ,these symptoms can occur.

You will need to undergo blood test assessing liver function(Liver function tests), and hormone levels.

Please follow up with your doctor to discuss these possibilities

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 5 hours later
I was cured of hep c when i last checked..they said my liver looked normal in the ultrasound..the only thing left are antibodies which should b gone in 10 to twenty years..the irregularities didnt start until i began treatment..
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Advice to get Liver Function test, Thyroid function tests and Pelvic USG

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for addressing your question

I have gone through your query and I understand your concern

The drug by itself is not responsible for menstrual irregularities.
Even though you initial viral load testing and liver function tests were normal after completing treatment with Epclusa, I strongly advice getting Liver function tests and viral load checked gain, as it is recommended to get these checked after 12 weeks of completion of therapy and since you are experiencing menstrual irregularities and sore breast.

Other causes for absent/delayed menstruation can be stress, recent diet changes, vigorous exercise regimens, thyroid problems(confirmed by checking thyroid levels in blood/Thyroid function test), and Polycystic ovarian syndrome( confirmed by Pelvic Ultrasound/USG and measurement of hormone levels).

Please follow up with your doctor to get the necessary investigations done

Please feel free to address any more concerns,I am here to help
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D