question-icon

What do abdominal cramps, inability to expel gas and fever indicate?

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018
Question: Today is the beginning of my 3rd day of stomach & abdominal cramps, pain and inability to expell gas. It hurts to touch both my stomach and abdominal area. I also am running a temperature of 100.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (48 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Infection in the gut most likely.

Detailed Answer:

You are very likely suffering from stomach flu and indigestion. As food is not digested properly it is acted upon by a number of toxic bacteria which release a large number of gases which compresses the intestines hence causing pain. Stasis of food causes bacterial multiplication which causes fever and increased body temperature.

I would suggest you take:

Capsule Omeprazole for gas (OTC).

Take a mild laxative like Lactulose this will cause infected stools to pass hence bacterial nidus would be destroyed (OTC).
An antibiotic like Azithromycin (you may need a prescription for these) should be taken for eradicating the harmful bacteria.
A probiotic should be taken post recovery.

A stool routine and micro-analysis test should be done.

Hope I was helpful.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar, Gastroenterologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist