What do RBC and pus cells of 0-1/HPF in fecalysis indicate?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Wed, 5 Sep 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi. May i know what must I do if the RBC and Pus cells in my fecalysis result were both 0-1 /HPF? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Most likely there is nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:

I carefully read your questions and understand your concern related to the blood and pus cells in the stool result.

Normally it is said that there should be no blood and pus cells in the stool.

Their presence in the stool sample might indicate bleeding in the gastrointestinal system and the pus cells might indicate that your bowel or stomach is fighting an infection or inflammatory disease.

On the other hand, I must say the values you have are 0-1 which are pretty close to normal values.

And I would be more concerned about the causes mentioned above if the values are at least in few to several in numbers.

I would say that it is very important to interpret every test result but especially in your case.

Based on the clinical picture like why was the test done and if you have any complaint that made you have the test.

To conclude I would say:

- Normally there should not be any blood or pus cells in the stool test.

- Causes of their presence can be due to bleeding there or some infection or inflammatory process happening locally in the bowel or stomach.

- Because you have 0-1 PHF, this is a very little change from the normal values and it is very likely there is nothing to worry in your case.

- On the other hands if you have certain complaints or symptoms that made you have the tests, would tell us more about the reason why there are these findings.

- If you did a routine test and no symptoms or concerns then I would just relax as it is unlikely there is anything to worry.

- To be safer you can repeat the test in 2 weeks (if you have no complaints) to verify that the numbers are not getting higher or earlier check if you are getting any symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Zotaj Antoneta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj