What do ESR level of 78 and GFR levels of 118 indicate?

Posted on Mon, 5 Dec 2016 in General Health
Question: HI,

I am a 28yo nonsmoking female, no medical history and I do not take any medications. I recently was doing some routine lab work for a post masters (mainly titers) and my ESR came back 78. CMP normal, GFR 118, CBC normal except for a MCV of 79.5 (80-100) and MCH of 26.1 (27-33) I feel fine, no back or joint pain. However, at that time, my uric acid was 5.9- again a shock, as I was not experiencing any symptoms. Could both the uric acid and being in the middle of a menstrual cycle account for an ESR of that value? My doctor is repeating my ESR and doing an electrophersis as he recently had a 38 yo pt with an ESR of 90 and ended with mulitple myeloma. Needless to say I am worried. Thanks! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It needs evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that it seems unlikely to be multiple myeloma but the best thing would be to repeat ESR . If its still raised the serum protein electrophoresis should be done to rule out any nasty condition . ESR can be raised in many conditions so its not necessarily that raised uric acid and ESR correlate . Plus one value doesnt mean anything so its better to repeat and then take decision . Also did you have any recent illness or any family history of malignancy please tell . Any other query please ask .

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 26 minutes later
Thank you for your response. There are no known blood cancers in the family, I have a paternal uncle with colon cancer and a paternal grandmother over the age of 75 with breast cancer. My mother was diagnosed with an oral cancer, I forget what it is called, essentially they removed it and just monitor her, it was very slow growing and they do not anticpate it to come back. MS does run in the family, no other autoimmune disorders that I am aware of. I hope this helps to answer your question. My largest concern was a type of blood cancer but I would have thought that my CBC w/ differential would have reflected that? Also I did not know if the high uric acid level, menstrual cycle and being overweight could compound to cause the elevated ESR or if I needed to look more at autoimmune or cancer directions?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear madam,

Thank you for reverting back.

Well I would say just repeat the values , there is nothing to worry . Since you have no symptoms regarding cancer or any autoimmune disease I find it highly unlikely that you may be suffering from these . Being overweight can definitely raise uric acid levels . At present we cant blame one thing to cause raised ESR so first repeat it then we will see .

Dr. Shruti
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist