question-icon

What do CDT test results of 1.6 percent positive indicate?

Posted on Thu, 4 Oct 2018
Question: I have had a cdt test my result is negative 0-1.6%positive 1.6% with cho deficient transferrin 13%what does this mean
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:

CDT testing is an indicator of alcohol use

Detailed Answer:

CDT testing is used to assess the amount of alcohol intake. Carbohydrate-deficient transferrin of 13% is indicative of heavy alcohol use (about 5 drinks per day for past 2 weeks).

CDT testing is also monitored to see if the amount of alcohol consumption has increased or decreased.

If the CHO deficient transferrin level has decreased since the last testing, then it is indicative that there is decreased alcohol consumption.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal (1 hour later)
How long will it take to return to a normal range?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal (7 hours later)
Brief Answer:

CDT tests indicate drinking pattern.

Detailed Answer:

CDT testing provides an idea about the last 2 weeks of drinking pattern.

So if you have abstained from or reduced alcohol intake for past 2 to 3 weeks, the CHO deficient tranferritin level will come down.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal