What do BP levels of 178/112 indicate despite being on Lisinopril?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: On 12/24 my bood pressure started rising from a 135/85 +/- by 10 points or so over aweek plus to 187/113 at the worst. It is hovering around 178/112 before and after taking Lisinopril (40). I did not feel any "event". I also take 5 mg of Cialis, Testosterone Gel (5mg) and Latanoprost 0.005%. I feel "jittery" but am fine otherwise.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your medicine needs to be changed

Detailed Answer:
Have low salt diet and monitor blood pressure regularly thrice a day for one week then once or twice a week. Our target bp is persistently less than 140/90 mmhg. Regular exercises like brisk walking, jogging according your capacity atleast 30 min a day and 5 days a week.
For that your bp medicine needs to be changed. You are at ceiling dose of lisinopril and it's not working on you. I would like to stop lisinopril and change it to, Tab Telma CTD(40/12.5) (Telmisartan chlorthalidone combination) once a day, And other medicine Tab Amlodipine 5 mg once a day, both in the morning with bp monitoring as I suggested. So you can get these prescribed.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad