What do BP levels of 154/86 indicate despite taking Cartia and HCTZ?

Cardiologist
Question
My blood pressure is 154/86
I am on blood pressure meds. Cartia xl and hctz. What do I need to do?
Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I understand your concern and would like to explain that if your blood pressure values is usually not properly controlled and such high values keep persisting, then your actual anti-hypertensive scheme may be not sufficient.

If you are using 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide and 120 to 320 mg Cartia XL, then you may need to add another anti-hypertensive drug.

Coming to this point I would recommend discussing with your attending doctor on the possibility of adding an ACEI (like Ramipril, Lisinopril, etc.) or an ARB (like Olmesartan, Telmisartan, etc.)

In addition, I recommend performing several medical tests to investigate for possible secondary causes of hypertension:

- complete blood count (for anemia),
- thyroid hormones level (thyroid dysfunction),
- blood electrolytes level and arterial blood gas analysis (adrenal cortex dysfunction),
- renal function tests (renal dysfunction),
- liver function tests (metabolism of anti-hypertensive drugs)

It is necessary to closely monitor your BP values (several times daily for a couple of days up to a week) and re-evaluate the started anti-hypertensive scheme.

You should discuss with your attending doctor on the above mentioned issues.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

I remain at your disposal for any further discussions.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri