Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

138 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What do BP levels of 154/86 indicate despite taking Cartia and HCTZ?

Answered by
Dr. Ilir Sharka


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 5109 Questions

Posted on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My blood pressure is 154/86
I am on blood pressure meds. Cartia xl and hctz. What do I need to do?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome on HCM!

I understand your concern and would like to explain that if your blood pressure values is usually not properly controlled and such high values keep persisting, then your actual anti-hypertensive scheme may be not sufficient.

If you are using 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide and 120 to 320 mg Cartia XL, then you may need to add another anti-hypertensive drug.

Coming to this point I would recommend discussing with your attending doctor on the possibility of adding an ACEI (like Ramipril, Lisinopril, etc.) or an ARB (like Olmesartan, Telmisartan, etc.)

In addition, I recommend performing several medical tests to investigate for possible secondary causes of hypertension:

- complete blood count (for anemia),
- thyroid hormones level (thyroid dysfunction),
- blood electrolytes level and arterial blood gas analysis (adrenal cortex dysfunction),
- renal function tests (renal dysfunction),
- liver function tests (metabolism of anti-hypertensive drugs)

It is necessary to closely monitor your BP values (several times daily for a couple of days up to a week) and re-evaluate the started anti-hypertensive scheme.

You should discuss with your attending doctor on the above mentioned issues.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

I remain at your disposal for any further discussions.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Arterial blood

doctor1 MD

I have high blood pressure(165/110) and was put on Lisinoprin 3 weeks ago and it has come down about 30 points...however i have head aches and have shortness of breath . I wake up at night and feel like i'm not getting enough oxygen . I weigh 260...

doctor1 MD

I have been experiencing moderate confusion, short term memory loss , loss of focus/concentration, moderate numbness in fingers/toes, sudden strong heartbeat, continuous fatigue, extreme dry mouth , and sweating hands/feet. Symptoms started 3...

doctor1 MD

I ve noticed lately when I am in my office that my right hand is colder & it feels colder than my left hand. I was just wondering if this is indicative of any underlying medical problem?

doctor1 MD

My blood has been very dark in color lately. I am a bit concerned because I have not changed any of my habits. I still eat regular and as healthy as I can, I guess. I exercise daily and take regular vitamin supplements. I am a 25 year old man and I am bothered by my lack of knowledge in regards to the issue at hand. Please offer any information or insight that you can. Your time and input will both be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

doctor1 MD

What's the name of the device they always show in movies and shows and stuff where it's a bobbing red line that generate peaks to measure heart rate? Then usually when someone dies, it's just a solid red line.