Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

What disease do I have if my skin is always itchy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12679 Questions
What skin condition do you think I have if the skin from both of my elbows to my hands is always itchy and when that part of my skin is rubbed by someone or I wash this area red spots appear that disappear but the itching is always there. I have tried RX-nystatin/triamcinolone cream 60g-#1-for (mycolog II cream 60gm AND aquaphor healing ointment.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.

Itchy skin- especially on forearms and hands with small red dots appearing on it after washing- your symptoms are suggestive of three main possibilities-

1.Eczema- Again itching, dryness and red spots appear due to itching. An examination by dermatologist will help in the diagnosis.
2.Allergy- may be to a food item you consume very often like gluten sensitivity. Try to remain on a gluten free diet for a few days and see if it gets relieved.
3.Scabies- it is a bug infestation and the main symptom is itching.

An examination from your dermatologist will confirm the diagnosis and will prescribe the drugs best for you.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What disease do I have if my skin is always itchy? 4 hours later
I think it might be scabies and I would like to know how does it get on the skin and I just feel my forearms and hands itchy so if I have scabies do you think it is inside of my stomach and is it curable?...THANK YOU.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 59 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Scabies is fully curable. It is highly contagious. You will need to wash all your clothes and bed linens and then boil them after you get treated.
You will have to see a dermatologist to be prescribed the required medicines. Till then stop scraping the lesions and apply calamine lotion for a soothing feeling.

Sincerely hope it will help.
Wishing you an early recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor