What diet is appropriate for a patient diagnosed with renal atrophy?
Moderate excersice is beneficial
In patients with atrophic kidneys, strict monthly monitoring of vitamin D, vitamin C, potassium, phosphorus and calcium is required as there is a risk of excessive filtration of these substances.
If vitamin D was found to be low then you should increase the dietary intake of dairy products.
if vitamin C was found low then you should increase the dietary intake of citrus fruits. If potassium, phosphorus or calcium was found to be low then you should add their supplements.
However, you should also follow a low salt diet, avoid canned or processed food.
Restrict protein according to the degree of atrophy and stick to proteins that are rich in amino acids as fish, lean meat, milk and egg whites.
Also, you should avoid animal fats and replace them with vegetable oils.
As for exercising, moderate daily exercise as walking for 15-30 minutes daily is beneficial unless you suffer from anaemia, muscle loss or chronic fatigue.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Whats in a renal diet
- What is mild diffuse atrophy
- What is atrophied
- Renal tubular atrophy
- What is atrophy in women
- What is cerebellar atrophy
- Diet chart for renal patients
- Have cerebral atrophy what medicine and diet to give
- Diagnosed with cerebral atrophy what does this mean
- Patients with olivopontocerebellar atrophy
- What causes blood in stool while on Ibuprofen and Tylenol?
- Does Benzonatate interact with Trazodone?
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea, severe chills and fever
- What causes a lump in the armpit and fever?
- Suggest treatment for mucus in nasal passage
- Suggest treatment for throat pain and difficulty in swallowing
- Is chronic fatigue a symptom of Lyme's disease?
- Can Azithromycin cause painful lumps in the breasts?
- Suggest treatment for enlarged lymph nodes in the armpit and fatigue
- What causes severe vomiting and foul urine odor?