What diet is appropriate for a patient diagnosed with renal atrophy?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have atrophic kidney what foods should I avoid also is there a limit to the quantity of excecise and intesity of it
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Moderate excersice is beneficial

Detailed Answer:

In patients with atrophic kidneys, strict monthly monitoring of vitamin D, vitamin C, potassium, phosphorus and calcium is required as there is a risk of excessive filtration of these substances.

If vitamin D was found to be low then you should increase the dietary intake of dairy products.

if vitamin C was found low then you should increase the dietary intake of citrus fruits. If potassium, phosphorus or calcium was found to be low then you should add their supplements.

However, you should also follow a low salt diet, avoid canned or processed food.

Restrict protein according to the degree of atrophy and stick to proteins that are rich in amino acids as fish, lean meat, milk and egg whites.

Also, you should avoid animal fats and replace them with vegetable oils.

As for exercising, moderate daily exercise as walking for 15-30 minutes daily is beneficial unless you suffer from anaemia, muscle loss or chronic fatigue.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad