What diet can be given to child recovering from typhoid?
Detailed Answer Below
Greetings From HealthcareMagic.
Typhoid has a direct effect on the digestive system and require special dietary care even when the symptoms subside. It is extremely important to consume easy to digest foods to avoid the digestive issues. First thing is to maintain the fluid and electrolyte balance. To do so, take plenty of plain water, tender coconut water and drinks like fresh soups (not the packed ready to make types), salted lemon juice with sugar or honey ( no soda), barley etc.
In addition it is important to:
• Take small and frequent meals.
• Include light foods in the diet and avoid the peel or seeds of the fruits, wherever possible.
• Take protein rich foods; include low fat milk, and its products. If you eat non veg then add white meats in moderation and avoid yolk when taking eggs. Other protein rich foods are dal and nut butters., which may be taken in moderation.
• Exclude the dietary fibers, as the intestinal lining is damaged. However, during the recovery phase, seed less cucumber, grated and boiled carrot, or beetroot may be gradually introduced in small portions.
• Avoid caffeine and carbonated beverages.
• Avoid capsicum, cabbage, turnip, reddish, garlic and onions.
• Completely avoid the fried and spicy food. This may cause flatulence or vomiting. The saturated fats like ghee, cream and butter should be completely avoided.. Include the healthy fats like vegetable oils in the diet and restrict the fat intake to approx. 4 tsp. per day. Cream and butter preparations, like puffs, cakes and cookies are also to be strictly avoided. Nuts and Dry fruits may be included in the diet, while keeping a check on their quantities.
Strictly avoid the outside food and too many spices. Elevated body temperature affects the taste buds and as an after effect of fever, it becomes difficult to relish food. But it is extremely important to be careful as typhoid and fever, both results in compromised nutrient absorption.
Hope this satisfies your query. If you wish to get a detailed personalized Diet Plan, Kindly log on to our portal www.healthcaremagic.com and opt for "Ask a Dietitian" services.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Diet for patients recovering from typhoid
- What is typhoid
- Diet for typhoid in child
- 3 weeks typhoid child diet
- What should diet in dengue and typhoid
- What should be the diet after typhoid
- What diet to take after typhoid
- What diet to follow on typhoid
- What should be the diet in typhoid fever
- What diet to follow on typhoid menu
- What kind of diet should I follow to reduce my weight?
- Suggest ways to lose post pregnancy weight
- Is wheat grass good for health?
- How to increase my metabolism?
- Slim and want to gain weight and body mass. Advised to take protein...
- Doing regular exercise but not able to reduce weight. What to do?
- Suggest diet plan and health tips to fight obesity
- Would you advise non carbohydrate diet to reduce weight and get back in...
- Suffering from Hypertension. Can I consume Chia seeds and flax seeds daily?
- Suggest ways to increase weight