Owl Image

What diet can be given to child recovering from typhoid?

Owl Image
Meenakshi Attrey

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Question
My son has just recovered from typhoid. His last fever spike was on 30th July afternoon. Thereafter there has no fever. He seems to be fine but extremely weak His last Cefixine 400 mg tablet ( 26th one) was taken today in the morning. Can you please help me with a diet chart because he is urging to have tasty food Thanks
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Diet Plans

Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed Answer Below

Detailed Answer:

Greetings From HealthcareMagic.

Typhoid has a direct effect on the digestive system and require special dietary care even when the symptoms subside. It is extremely important to consume easy to digest foods to avoid the digestive issues. First thing is to maintain the fluid and electrolyte balance. To do so, take plenty of plain water, tender coconut water and drinks like fresh soups (not the packed ready to make types), salted lemon juice with sugar or honey ( no soda), barley etc.

In addition it is important to:

•     Take small and frequent meals.
•     Include light foods in the diet and avoid the peel or seeds of the fruits, wherever possible.
•     Take protein rich foods; include low fat milk, and its products. If you eat non veg then add white meats in moderation and avoid yolk when taking eggs. Other protein rich foods are dal and nut butters., which may be taken in moderation.
•     Exclude the dietary fibers, as the intestinal lining is damaged. However, during the recovery phase, seed less cucumber, grated and boiled carrot, or beetroot may be gradually introduced in small portions.
•     Avoid caffeine and carbonated beverages.
•     Avoid capsicum, cabbage, turnip, reddish, garlic and onions.

•     Completely avoid the fried and spicy food. This may cause flatulence or vomiting. The saturated fats like ghee, cream and butter should be completely avoided.. Include the healthy fats like vegetable oils in the diet and restrict the fat intake to approx. 4 tsp. per day. Cream and butter preparations, like puffs, cakes and cookies are also to be strictly avoided. Nuts and Dry fruits may be included in the diet, while keeping a check on their quantities.

Strictly avoid the outside food and too many spices. Elevated body temperature affects the taste buds and as an after effect of fever, it becomes difficult to relish food. But it is extremely important to be careful as typhoid and fever, both results in compromised nutrient absorption.

Hope this satisfies your query. If you wish to get a detailed personalized Diet Plan, Kindly log on to our portal www.healthcaremagic.com and opt for "Ask a Dietitian" services.

Meenakshi