What diagnostic test can be done to evaluate heart function?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Jul 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My husband,74yrs old, was to have surgery for a very bad sore on his buttocks . As they were giving him Meds to put him under he had a heart attack and his heart stopped. They of course could not do surgery. They said his heart is functioning at 10% and will probably have another heart attack and die. My question is his oxygen level is 97% and his heart sounds could when nurse listens to it. He's in a nursing home but was there before this. I'm thinking they must be wrong about his heart function at 10%. Can it be that Low and still have good oxygen levels. Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

If the doctors have done a cardiac echo then his heart function may be as low as 10%. Cardiac echo is an accurate examination to evaluate heart function. Moreover heart function may be as low as 10% even if blood oxygen is 97%.

Wish you and your family health!
Dr. Shehu
p.s: If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again.
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are mostly welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
You are mostly welcome to contact me again.
P.s: If you are satisfied with my answer please close this query and rate it to maximum.
Dr. Shehu