What cuases shoulder pain?

Posted on Wed, 9 Jul 2014 in Pain Management
Question: Hello. I've had severe left shoulder blade pain now for one week. I have scoliosis (an s curve) and I was working out with elastic bands doing back exercises when I noticed some discomfort. The first few days didn't seem so bad, but starting this past Monday the pain has gotten quite severe. I've been taking ibuprofen and tylenol and it doesn't seem to help much. If I lay flat on my back with my neck supported I find relief. I'm a teacher so I have to stand most of the day which irritates it even more. The pain in my lower right side of left shoulder blade has now transistioned to the left side of the left shoulder blade almost under my arm pit. There's a severe burning feeling. I can't concentrate on anything else because of the burning sensation. If I move around, I can sometimes get relief. What is causing this? How can I make the pain go away?
Answered by Dr. Rohit Gulati 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can be treated with medicine

Detailed Answer:
This type of pain usually a result of prolonged spine curve deformity resulting in poor alliance of shoulder blade to the rib cage.
You need to take prescription for analgesic with muscle relaxants e.g. aceclofenac with myoril or chlorzoxazone. Also opioids like methadone or oxycodone may help.
Analgesic ointment applied over th mid- shoulder blade region and hot fomentation 10 minutes later shall also give relief.
If none of these work you shall follow with a pain specialist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Rohit Gulati 30 minutes later
I understand about my scoliosis causing a poor alliance, but I've lived with that pain for most of my life. This is definitely different. This happened during my workout. I feel as if I've injured something in my shoulder blade area or rotator cuff etc. The burning sensation is about an 8 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst. I'm having trouble lifting my left arm and can't carry anything with this arm. I'm really not wanting to take such high powered pain meds. Could this be something other than my scoliosis? I need relief ASAP because this burning sensation is impeding on everything in my life. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Rohit Gulati 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
In case you think it is different, i suggest you take the medicine for now at least 3-5 days, that shall reduce the pain.
In case it still bothers you after. Then you'll have to get in touch with a pain specialist.
I understand, it might be difficult and inconvenient but it would need thorough examination to establish the diagnosis.
Dr. Rohit Gulati

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist