Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

What cream can I apply for white scaling and itching on penis?

Dec 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 4168 Questions
Hello doctor, I have white scaling on my penis, and it is very itching and paining sometimes, is there any cream you can suggest
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: kindly see the suggestions below Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to Healthcare Magic. I can understand your concern for white scaling with itching and pain over penis. After reading your complete query with diligence I can make out that you are suffering from candidal (fungal) infection of the glans penis area. Though there are multiple of other cases too but at your age and the clinical presentation which you have described matches with the fungal infection of the penile area. Before I proceed to your condition, let you understand some medical facts- Fungal infections are common type of infections which can affect anybody at any site. But more commonly it affects the areas which are moist areas (as in your case). More specifically this is related to the hygiene especially in uncircumcised males. So if you are uncircumcised then it is high chance to get infection frequently. It is more common to find moist area at glans penis and frenulum (skin covering the glans penis) area which favors the growth of fungus. The fungus can be grown directly in an individual or can be more commonly because of infection from the partner. So in case of unprotected sexual intercourse if the area is not washed properly or later on if the hygiene is not maintained properly anybody can get the infection again. So the same thing is in your case too. Many times it can be due to raised blood sugar also. You can upload a picture of the affected area so that the fungal infection can be confirmed. Even then the suggestions below are applicable in your condition. For the management of the same kindly follow the suggestions below: - Wash your penile area for two times in a day. You can use a mild soap to wash the area. Wash it very gently but properly. If you are uncircumcised then it is quite important to retract your skin fully backwards and then wash the area. - After every sexual intercourse too, wash the area properly. I personally suggest you to use protection in form of condoms during every intercourse. - It is quite very important to check for infection in your partner too. If your partner has white discharge then it is the most common cause of recurrent infection. In all the cases of candidal infection we always treat the partner. So get your partner treated for the same. - Wear cotton undergarments. Change these two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments. - You can apply latest anti-fungal creams such as "Sertaconazole" or "clotrimazole" cream and take latest anti-fungal tablets according to medical advise. - For the itching part you can take antihistamine like "loratadine" two times daily for 5 days and then make it once a day. Overall it is nothing to be worried about. It is a common condition which we see quite often in our day to day practice. With complete treatment of self and partner and with good hygiene maintenance it can be cured very easily. I hope this clears all your doubts. Tell me if you have any further quires. Wish you good health with regards, Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia (MD - Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor