What course of action can be taken for Parkinson's disease when diagnosed with dystonia?
DBS surgery would be the best option.
Thank you for posting your query.
I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.
I have noted your father's symptoms, and he seems to be having motor fluctuations leading to dyskinesia/dystonia. At this stage, deep brain stimulation (DBS) surgery is the best option. In this surgery, a small "pacemaker-like" device is implanted in the brain.
If it is not possible, then, we need to adjust the dose of his medications (however, it may not be of too much help).
Physiotherapy should be continued. Walking stick or a walker can definitely help in preventing falls.
I sincerely hope my reply has helped you.
I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/
Also the surgery you have suggested? How much does it cost? what are the chances of a successful surgery?
Surgery costs about 9 to 10 lacs rupees.
Thank you for getting back. There is no special walking stick for people with dystonia. He can use any walking stick with which he is comfortable. Regarding the surgery we need to evaluate him to decide whether he is a successful candidate or not. Once found to be fit and suitable for surgery, it works in most people. The approximate cost of the surgeey will be about 9 to 10 lacs XXXXXXX rupees.
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Diagnosis of parkinson’s disease
- Treatment and cure for parkinson’s disease
- Drugs/medication for parkinson’s disease
- Can apomorphine help treat control parkinson s disease
- Meedication for parkinson s disease
- Symptoms of parkinson’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease causes
- What are the symptoms and treatments for parkinson s disease
- Are syndopa and pacitane ideal medications for parkinson s disease
- What are the best possible treatments for parkinson s disease