Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

What could possibly cause pain at the bottom of skull post exercise ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2357 Questions
When I exercise and become overheated I get a pain at the bottom of my skull on both sides. What is this and it is a sign of heart disease constricting blood flow to my brain? I am a 59 yr old female, 5'5" and 160 lbs. I have moderately high cholesterol of 230. I have never had a heart attack or stroke.
Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Various reasons come into the picture when an individual experience sensation of pain and warmth in the base of the skull. Considering your age, sex, physical activities and the medical condition, neck pain appears to be one of the commonest problems a post menopausal woman experience.

During menopause there will be loss of calcium leading to a condition called osteoporosis. Women with osteoporosis begin to lose bone density more rapidly due to reduction of the estrogen levels in the body. And also, the risk of heart disease is increased during this period due to cholesterol, atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries.

In relation to your problem, during the exercise the muscles surrounding the neck and the skull tend to pull the vertebral and the shoulder bones leading to inflammation and pain. Secondly, it could also be due to reduced blood supply to the muscles in the neck causing inflammation of the muscles during the exercise and eventually pain. Narrowing of the medium sized arteries due to atherosclerosis can cause reduced blood supply to the target organs.

You need to consult your physician and an orthopedician for a complete investigation and appropriate treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more doubts, you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor