Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

What could irregular periods mean?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
I had an abnormal smear test about 6 months ago and went back three months later for another one. This was fine. I'm in my mid 30s and I have missed a couple of periods in the last year. A hormone test was all good and fine . I've now had a period on the 3rd of XXXXXXX which was normal for 8 days then I've been on again on the 24th of XXXXXXX ,that only lasted 3 days and now I've come on again the 6th of XXXXXXX . The last two are thick brown blood. Not heavy ,but not spotting. I've been wiped out I bleed after sex but that wasn't heavy. Can you help please thanks.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 39 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

First,do a pregnancy test at home if you have been sexually active in the last month.If the test is negative then you have a symptom called polymenorrhea.There can be several causes but usually hormone imbalance is the commonest cause.
You should get you thyroid levels checked.
Also repeat a pap smear after 6 months of the last one.
Get an ultrasound to rule out DUB, polyp,fibroids etc.
If required a D&C and endometrial biopsy may also need to be done.

Bleeding after sex isnt normal and finding out the cause here is imperative.
Please visit your doctor and get the tests done.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What could irregular periods mean? 11 hours later

I have been with the same partner for 15 yrs now ,3 children later we decided we ddidnt want anymore so my partner had the snip. One other thing I forgot is it difficult to urinate. But my bladder always seems full and if I push on my stomache it makes me want to go. Had thyroid and hormone done as they were testing to see if I was going through the change. What does DUB stand for. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 15 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

DUB is called dysfunctional uterine bleeding. Its pretty common and most cases the cause cannot be found out. But DUB doesnt usually cause bleeding after sex, that is why I asked you to repeat the pap and get an ultrasound to rule out other causes.

The urinary problems could be due to any pathology like a fibroid etc pushing on the baldder or due to infection.

Hence, I suggested the above tests.

Hope this answers the query.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor