What could happen if an 18 month old boy swallows

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2019 in Child Health
Question: What could happen if an 18 month old boy swallows one10 mg cap of Zaleplon?

What could happen if it was two caps of 10 mg each?

What could happen if the same child swallows one 25 mg cap of Chlordiazepoxide
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seek medical attention at the earliest

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.

Zaleplon is a sedative. 0.25-1.0 mg/kg counts as permissible dose of Zaleplon. The toxic and lethal doses are much higher. Assuming your child to be around 10 kg body weight, the dose is not likely to be toxic to your child. However, it is likely to make your child drowsy or sleeping deeply. It would be advisable to admit the child for observation since there is some risk of respiratory depression.

However, if the same child has also taken Chlordiazepoxide it can make matters serious. In such a case I would insist you to seek medical attention without delay.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D