What could cause worsening eye pain after using FML drops while suffering from chicken pox?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My daughter is suffering from chicken pox and she had eye infection I check with the doctor, he prescribed fml drops and tear drops but now she has severe eye pain, what to do?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic eye drops needed as an add-on

Detailed Answer:

FML eye drop is not the first line of defense. These are steroids and can lead to problems if there is even the tiniest scratch in the eye. Sudden development of pain points to some of such complication occurring in the eye. This has to be looked into by an eye doctor where the cornea is examined and any ulceration is ruled out

You can put antibiotic eye drops like Moxifloxacin or Ofloxacin eye drops available as Moxicip or Ofax eye drops, to be put in at least 6 times a day.

If everything was okay, your daughter should have been improving, any deterioration indicates that all is not well. If there is XXXXXXX viral involvement of the eye, antiviral drugs are available and in that case, the FML is contraindicated.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you.

Dr. N. K. Misra
Ophthalmologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee