What could cause the legs to feel numb after waking?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I don't get leg cramps, but each morning when I awake, my legs and feet, (mostly my ankle joints) are numb up to my knees. Sometimes, my foot is crooked at the ankle, and I fear getting out of bed with a deformed foot. I don't want to fall. I do l5 or 20 'bicycles" between the sheets, and it eases it, so I have no trouble walking. What causes this? There is no pain, so not life-threatening. Thanks for your opinion.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems like arthritis in early stages

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health concern.
I read it carefully and I understand your concern.

The symptom you are describing seems like the begining of an arthritis. It is important though that you check your blood tests to make sure you don't havr diabetes and that the circulation in your feet is normal.
If you have checked those and everything is normal, then physical therapy as per your doctor recommendation will be enough.
Keep being active and stretch the muscles as much as you can without overusing or causing pain.
If pain starts, then consider seeing a local doctor who can examine you and understand more which is the problem.

Hope this makes sense and it is helpful.
Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Dr. Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj