What could cause sore throat with cough and left shoulder pain till elbow?

Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 23 Oct 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: hi doc, I have cough since last week . I took steam everyday and was taking warm water with salt. I also took azythromicine along with cough tablet for 3 times. finally it was gone. now since 3 days again I have itchy throat with cough and left shoulder pain till elbow. whenever I cough I'm getting severe pain in left shoulder which will subside till elbow though not very serious cough. not able to lift my left hand.. wearing dress is difficult. also I am not able to bend my head completely down. I feel it is left joint pain.. but not sure. what is the reason for this? what should I do? thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Need to find out the association of cough and shoulder pain.

Detailed Answer:

Hi!

It looks like you are having an allergic cough. That is why itchy throat and dry cough.

However shoulder pain during cough is rare. we need to find out any irritation of your diaphragm during cough causing shoulder pain.

I suggest you to consult a physician and get a chest X-ray done if pain persists during cough.

Hope my answer helps you.

Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair,
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng