What could cause slight nausea, frequent bowel movements, bloated stomach and frequent belching?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 20 Nov 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I don’t feel good. Have slight nausea. In past 8 hours have gone to bathroom 4 times (no diarrhea, just soft solid) and no blood. Have uncomfortable fullness from bottom of breast to just below waist. Have burping. Taken 1 alkaseltzer and drank about 12 oz of club soda and 3 oz of ginger ale. Burping tends to relieve pressure in upper abdomen. Feel tired and sleepy, uncomfortable and slightly miserable Had throw up in mouth twice. Haven’t eaten or wanted to eat since dinner last night. Maybe something I ate?

Also, FYI, I have been taking dexilant (proton pump inhibitor) for about 120 days.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hold off solids, fluid replacement, probiotics

Detailed Answer:

Yes, more than likely something that you would have eaten. In most cases, the symptoms last only 2 to 3 days, rarely up to a week, though this can occur.

Treatment:-

(1) Continue the Dexilant

(2) It is correct to use fluids to replace what you are losing but unfortunately the fizz from the carbonated drinks would contribute to the bloating so it would be best to use other fluids. Eg: oral hydration drink or a sports drink that has been diluted by at least half.

These drinks would give back both fluids and electrolytes. The sports drink has to be diluted because the sugar can also affect bowel movements, this is the other reason the other drinks should be discontinued.

Drink only small amounts at a time, if you use large amounts, it may increase nausea.

(3) Probiotics would help.

(4) No solid food till a 4 hour window with no vomiting and diarrhea. At that time, start with small dry foods first.

(5) Pepto-Bismol may also help as well.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James,